Legal Issues

When travelling abroad you should be aware of migration laws and regulations. This site section highlights legal issues a foreigner should know about Russian migration legislation.

The purpose of your visit to the Russian Federation stated in the visa should exactly correspond your intentions. If you arrive for studies it is exactly what your are expected to do during your stay in the Russian Federation and what should be written in your visa. Please, check it carefully to eliminate any unexpected problems. It is also important to know that if you are going to stay in Russia for more than 3 months your original invitation (and visa) will be issued for a period of only 90 days. However by the end of the time period foreign citizens are issued a multi-visa which is valid for the period of one year from the moment of initial crossing Russian border. It costs 1 600 RUR to change the current visa on the territory of Russia irrespectively of how long you are going to stay here.

According to the Russian Federation Migration Law every international visitor is to register at the place of destination as soon as possible after the arrival to the place of destination. To make the registration you should submit the below listed documents to International Relations Office (Bld. 1, off. 238):

  • foreign passport
  • migration card with a mark of border control check
  • visa
  • ticket to Izhevsk
  • HIV-certificate (if you plan to stay in Russia for more than 90 days)
  • medical insurance policy (if you plan to stay in Russia for more than 90 days)
  • two photos sized 3 x 4 cm.

If you are going to leave Izhevsk and be absent for more than 7 days you have to inform the International Relations Office in writing about your intention for the sake of migration control. However you are recommended to inform your institute/faculty dean’s office and international dormitory staff about your absence to eliminate any worries about your health, well-being and safety.

Can I work during my stay in Russia if the purpose of entering is study? According to the Legislation of Russian Federation international students are not allowed to be working in Russia during their stay for educational reasons within any other educational establishment, company, enterprise, business, etc. except for their host university/educational institution.

This is the only case when international students may be allowed to get employment during academic year. They may work at the host university/college as teacher assistants or subordinate staff if there are unfilled vacancies. In all other cases international students may only work during holiday period and on condition they have received a special working permit from the General Administration for Migration Issues of the Interior Ministry of Russia.

Health certificates and medical insurance

According to international rules everybody intending to have a foreign trip is required to buy a medical insurance policy which will cover a traveler’s expenses abroad in case of medical emergency.

International students coming to the Udmurt State University are also required to have a medical insurance policy.

In accordance with the legislation of the Russian Federation a foreign citizen intending to stay on the territory of the Russian Federation for more than 90 days is to present a medical insurance policy valid for the whole period of stay on the territory of Russia.

In case of the period of stay longer than 90 days international students should also submit a medical AIDS certificate.

For further information, please, contact us:

by e-mail
by tel +7 (3412) 916–181