Migration Rules

All foreign nationals must strictly observe the laws of the Russian Federation, as well as the rules and regulations concerning residing and traveling in the Russian Federation.

To reside legally in Russia, international students need to:

  • Fill out a Migration Card
  • Register with the Migration Service (migration registration)

Migration card

A Migration Card is a certificate of your legal crossing of the Russian border. The Migration Card needs to be filled out by all foreign citizens, whether or not they arrive in Russia with a visa. Free forms are distributed on planes, trains, and before passport control at the airport (or railway station).A Migration Card is valid for the duration of your stay in Russia. If you leave the country, hand it over at border control and fill out a new form when you return.

Migration Registration

In accordance with the Russian migration law international visitors are required to undergo migration registration at the destination place. Thus, you should visit the International and Public Relations office (campus building 1, office 238) to register immediately upon your arrival to Izhevsk or next working day.

You should submit the following documents for registration and their copies:

  • passport (copies of all pages);
  • migration card;
  • valid medical insurance policy;
  • 2 photos (size 3x4 cm or 3,5x4,5cm);
  • accommodation permit issued by the UdSU dormitory administration (if your accommodation is on-campus in the university dormitory);
  • registration voucher (if your accommodation is off-campus, i.e. in case of renting an apartment).

Migration de-registration

Migration de-registration accrues when crossing the Russian border or in case of changing the place of residence (also within the student dormitories). In case of change of the place of residence an international student is required to inform the UdSU international officers about the case within two days and register at the new residing place.

IMPORTANT! All international students leaving Izhevsk for another city or even country for tourist purposes within the academic year at UdSU undergo a repeated migration registration at the destination place AT THEIR OWN EXPENSES. UdSU collects the fixed charge for the procedure which currently equals 550 RUR. The same amount will be charged if a student decides to move from the UdSU dormitory and rent an apartment.

Change of Migration Status

In case of receiving a residence permit or citizenship of the Russian Federation, international students must inform the dean’s office and UdSU international officers within 24 hours by submitting the corresponding documents.

IMPORTANT! The University does not deal with matters concerning the change of migration status.

Validity Period of National Passport

In case of expiration of the validity period of the national passport the international students must extend or renew their passports in time, or leave the territory of the Russian Federation. It is also their responsibility to inform UdSU international officers onsuch actions. A valid passport is required for issuing and prolonging a multi-entry visa, as well as for migration registration.

Loss of Documents

In case of loss of documents (national passport, visa or migration card) international students must immediately contact the nearest police station in order to file a report, and also inform the International and Public Relations Office about the incident.

Completing Studies

After completing their studies at UdSU or being dismissed from the University, international students must leave the territory of the Russian Federation in accordance with the time limits set by the legislation. The tickets must be bought in advance. Visas of the university graduates will not be extended for reasons not connected with studies or other reasons prescribed by the law.

IMPORTANT! The University is not responsible for migration registration of friends and relatives of the UdSU international students.

Health Insurance Policy

A medical insurance for 90 days is to be purchased in home country when applying for a visa. Upon expiry of 90 days international students are required to obtain medical insurances for the remaining exchange period in Russia at their own expenses.


To work in Russia, foreign citizens must be of majority age (18+ years) and hold the work permit from the General Administration for Migration Issues of the Interior Ministry of Russia.

IMPORTANT! International students do not need any permits if they are employed at universities where they are enrolled during the outside class time (including vacations).

In all other cases, a permit is required. Permits are issued only to students on full-time courses at state-accredited universities. Students can work only according to the profession specified in the permit, and in the region (city) where their university is located.

A permit is issued for 1 year and needs to be extended for the term of the respective employment contract. If students leave their studies, the permit is cancelled.

Punishment for violation of migration rules

Failure to comply with migration requirements is punishable with a fine ranging between 2,000 and 5,000 roubles (subject to changes) and with/without administrative expulsion from the Russian Federation. In certain cases, if a foreign citizen does not have the necessary documents they may be deported from Russia. Two or more administrative violations are punishable by a five-year ban on entering the country.