Visiting UdSU with employment purposes

Visiting-Staff employment-infographics

PDFGuide for International Visiting Staff (employment purposes)



Depending on the purpose of visit and the duration of stay, international guests are required to apply for a certain type of visa and the types of invitations vary accordingly.

In case of long-term visits for teaching purposes, a WORK visa (for teaching purposes) is required. Invitations are issued by the Main Directorate for Migration Affairs in the Udmurt Republic (Migration Service) upon submission of all the required documents by the host organisation. The Host organization applies to the Migration Service for invitations upon submission of the application form and all the required documents on-line by the international visitor. The procedure takes minimum 20 days since the submission of the documents to the Migration Service.

Upon receipt of the Invitation letter from UdSU, please, apply for a visa at the Embassy/Consulate of the Russian Federation in your country (diplomatic and consular missions of Russia in your country).

The purpose of your visit to the Russian Federation stated in the visa should exactly correspond to your intentions. Please note that tourist visa does not fit within academic purposes.

It is also important to know that if you are going to stay in Russia for more than 3 months your original invitation (and visa) will be issued for a period of only 90 days. However, by the end of the time period foreign citizens are issued a multi-visa which is valid for the period of one year from the moment of initial crossing the Russian border. Currently, it costs 1600 RUR to change the visa status on the territory of Russia irrespectively of how long you are going to stay here.

As soon as you obtain your visa, please send its scan to the e-mail: before your arrival at UdSU.


A medical insurance policy is to be purchased in your home country when applying for a visa. In case of long-term visits, the duration of the medical insurance policy equals the duration of the first visa that is issued for 90 days. Upon expiry of this period and when applying for a multi-entry visa, you are required to obtain a medical insurance policy for the remaining period of your stay in Russia at your own expense.



According to the rules of the UdSU Dormitory Service, all incoming visitors are required to take a chest X-ray examination and HIV testing close to their departure to Izhevsk. You will have to bring the HIV certificate and the chest X-ray results to UdSU. In case an international guest does not have the listed above medical certificates, he/she is to undergo the required medical examinations at his/her own expenses upon arrival in Izhevsk. In the event of a refusal to follow the UdSU regulations, the UdSU Dormitory Service has the right to deny accommodation to the international visitors.


UdSU international staff visitors can choose accommodation on- or off-campus depending on the conditions of visit/stay. On-campus accommodation is arranged in the international students’ dormitory. Dormitory rooms are equipped with beds, desks, chairs, lamps, bookshelves, wardrobes. The Dormitory Service provides with blankets, bed sheets, towels and a pillow. There is a community kitchen, toilet, shower-room and laundry in the dormitory. The university does not undertake the off-campus accommodation arrangements.


To get to Izhevsk you will have to travel via Moscow. We recommend booking an electronic airline/train ticket to Moscow in advance. From Moscow to Izhevsk you can get either by plane or by train. If you choose to travel from Moscow to Izhevsk by plane, you can fly from the Domodedovo (Izhavia airline) or Sheremetyevo airport (Aeroflot airline) in Moscow.

If you prefer to travel from Moscow to Izhevsk by train, there is a possibility for train passengers to book tickets on-line and pay by credit card ( The booking facility is provided only in Russian. In case you wish someone to come and meet you at your arrival, please inform us of the date of your arrival beforehand.



According to the Russian legislation, foreign citizens are registered at the Migration Service upon their arrival at the place of their stay in Russia. The Migration Service issues a registration coupon that proves your legal status in Russia.

If the international visitor is accommodated on-campus, all the registration procedures are carried out by the UdSU International and Public Relations Office (address: Izhevsk, Universitetskaya str, 1, campus bld. No 1, office 238). Otherwise, householders of the rented off-campus accommodation undertake the responsibility of registration. In this case the UdSU Public Relations Office issues a Petition in the name of an international visitor with which householders apply for registration.

UdSU international staff visitors are required to submit the following documents for registration:

a) travel passport;
b) current visa;
c) migration card (filled in upon entry to Russia);
d) 2 passport-size photos.

Please mind that if you leave Russia within the term of your visa’s validity, you must be registered again following your next entry into the country.


To be officially employed for teaching at UdSU international employees undergo certain formalities.

The following documents are to be submitted to your HR officer:

  1. National passport (with notarized Russian translation*);
  2. One photo (size 3x4 cm);
  3. Migration card (upon entry to Russia all foreign travelers are given a migration card, which is usually distributed to passengers on incoming flights while passing through a passport control and available at arrival points in Russia);
  4. Registration coupon (all foreign citizens must be registered by the Department for Migration Issues of the Ministry of Internal Affairs in the Udmurt Republic upon their arrival in Russia, the copy can be submitted later);
  5. Employment record book (if a foreign employee was previously officially employed in Russia, they already have one. If not, then they will need to pay for it: HR department will kindly ask them to let them deduct its cost from the Employee’s first salary);
  6. SNILS (Insurance number of the individual account, if a foreign employee was previously officially employed in Russia, they already have one. If not, HR department will apply to the Pension Fund of the Russian Federation to issue this document) - Host department will provide assistance upon arrival in Izhevsk;
  7. INN (individual taxpayer number belonging to a particular taxpayer is appropriated in Russia at the request of the taxpayer and at the initiative of the migration authorities, for example, if the foreign citizen is a highly qualified specialist. The territorial tax inspectorates in the place of residence shall issue the INN certificate. If the taxpayer does not have a permanent registration, the issue of where to get a the INN certificate will be resolved by the tax authorities at the place of temporary residence (place of stay) or in the area where he has a property);
  8. Highest Diploma of Education (with a notarized Russian translation*);
  9. Certificate of clean criminal record (all foreign citizens can order this certificate at any local Government and Municipal Service Multifunctional Centre in Izhevsk (‘Moi Documenty’, or MFC), they need to have their passport with a notarized translation). – Requires about 2 weeks to receive the document. Host department will provide assistance;
  10. Routine medical examination certificate (medical examination is carried out upon arrival in Russia under the referral from UdSU and is paid by the Employer). In addition, according to the Russian Labour Law, all employees of educational institutions are required to submit vaccination records. Employees should be vaccinated against diphtheria, tetanus, hepatitis B, measles (aged over 35).
  • Host department will provide assistance with the notarized translation upon arrival in Izhevsk.

The following document are to be completed and signed:

√ Employment Contract;
√ Confirmation of having read the UdSU regulations;
√ Employee’s personal profile card;
√ Agreement for your personal information processing for employment purposes;
√ Application for Russian tax residency;
√ Application for a bank card (for salary transfer purposes)

You will receive

√ an UdSU entrance pass;
√ an UdSU library card.


UdSU offers Russian language courses during the academic year to international visitors. The UdSU policy concerning the Russian as a Foreign Language courses is as follows:

All international visitors who come to UdSU to study or teach for minimum 1 semester are offered a semester- or a year-long course of Russian. The course price varies depending on the duration of the course (1 semester or 2 semesters) and the level of Russian (e.g.:A0, A1, B1, B2, etc.)

However, some categories of international visitors, including international lecturers, have benefits. They are provided with a tuition fee waiver for the first two months of their stay (which is considered to be an intensive course). For those who arrive for the first semester it is September and October, irrespective of the date of their arrival to UdSU. Beginning with November, lecturers pay for the rest of the semester-/year-long course if they decide to continue the course.

You can also take a test of Russian as a foreign language (TORFL) at UdSU.


  • Academic calendar and grading system
  • Russian language programmes
  • Test of Russian as a foreign language