Visiting UdSU with non-employment purposes

Visiting-Staff nonemployment-infographics

PDFGuide for International Visiting Staff (non-employment purposes)



Depending on the purpose of visit and the duration of stay, international guests are required to apply for a certain type of visa and the types of invitations vary accordingly.

In case of short term visits, a HUMANITARIAN visa is required. Depending on a country, the invitation letter is issued by the host organisation within max 10 days upon submission of the application form and all the required documents on-line or by the Main Directorate for Migration Affairs in the Udmurt Republic (Migration Service) within 20 days upon submission of all the required documents by the host organisation. The invitation letter is issued by the host organisation within max 10 days upon submission of the application form and all the required documents on-line.

Upon receipt of the Invitation letter from UdSU, please, apply for a visa at the Embassy/Consulate of the Russian Federation in your country (diplomatic and consular missions of Russia in your country).

The purpose of your visit to the Russian Federation stated in the visa should exactly correspond to your intentions. Please note that tourist visa does not fit within academic purposes.

It is also important to know that if you are going to stay in Russia for more than 3 months your original invitation (and visa) will be issued for a period of only 90 days. However, by the end of the time period foreign citizens are issued a multi-visa which is valid for the period of one year from the moment of initial crossing the Russian border. Currently, it costs 1600 RUR to change the visa status on the territory of Russia irrespectively of how long you are going to stay here.

As soon as you obtain your visa, please send its scan to the e-mail: before your arrival at UdSU.


A medical insurance policy is to be purchased in your home country when applying for a visa. In case of long-term visits, the duration of the medical insurance policy equals the duration of the first visa that is issued for 90 days. Upon expiry of this period and when applying for a multi-entry visa, you are required to obtain a medical insurance policy for the remaining period of your stay in Russia at your own expense.



According to the rules of the UdSU Dormitory Service, all incoming visitors are required to take a chest X-ray examination and HIV testing close to their departure to Izhevsk. You will have to bring the HIV certificate and the chest X-ray results to UdSU. In case an international guest does not have the listed above medical certificates, he/she is to undergo the required medical examinations at his/her own expenses upon arrival in Izhevsk. In the event of a refusal to follow the UdSU regulations, the UdSU Dormitory Service has the right to deny accommodation to the international visitors.


UdSU international staff visitors can choose accommodation on- or off-campus depending on the conditions of visit/stay. On-campus accommodation is arranged in the international students’ dormitory. Dormitory rooms are equipped with beds, desks, chairs, lamps, bookshelves, wardrobes. The Dormitory Service provides with blankets, bed sheets, towels and a pillow. There is a community kitchen, toilet, shower-room and laundry in the dormitory. The university does not undertake the off-campus accommodation arrangements.


To get to Izhevsk you will have to travel via Moscow. We recommend booking an electronic airline/train ticket to Moscow in advance. From Moscow to Izhevsk you can get either by plane or by train. If you choose to travel from Moscow to Izhevsk by plane, you can fly from the Domodedovo (Izhavia airline) or Sheremetyevo airport (Aeroflot airline) in Moscow.

If you prefer to travel from Moscow to Izhevsk by train, there is a possibility for train passengers to book tickets on-line and pay by credit card ( The booking facility is provided only in Russian. In case you wish someone to come and meet you at your arrival, please inform us of the date of your arrival beforehand.



According to the Russian legislation, foreign citizens are registered at the Migration Service upon their arrival at the place of their stay in Russia. The Migration Service issues a registration coupon that proves your legal status in Russia.

If the international visitor is accommodated on-campus, all the registration procedures are carried out by the UdSU International and Public Relations Office (address: Izhevsk, Universitetskaya str, 1, campus bld. No 1, office 238). Otherwise, householders of the rented off-campus accommodation undertake the responsibility of registration. In this case the UdSU Public Relations Office issues a Petition in the name of an international visitor with which householders apply for registration.

UdSU international staff visitors are required to submit the following documents for registration:

a) travel passport;
b) current visa;
c) migration card (filled in upon entry to Russia);
d) 2 passport-size photos.

Please mind that if you leave Russia within the term of your visa’s validity, you must be registered again following your next entry into the country.


UdSU offers Russian language courses during the academic year to UdSU international visitors. The UdSU policy concerning the Russian as a Foreign Language courses is as follows:

All international visitors who come to UdSU to study or teach for minimum 1 semester are offered a semester- or a year-long course of Russian. The course price varies depending on the duration of the course (1 semester or 2 semesters) and the level of Russian (e.g.:A0, A1, B1, B2, etc)

However, some categories of international visitors, including international lecturers, have benefits. They are provided with a tuition fee waiver for the first two months of their stay (which is considered to be an intensive course). For those who arrive for the first semester it is September and October, irrespective of the date of their arrival to UdSU. Beginning with November, lecturers pay for the rest of the semester-/year-long course if they decide to continue the course.

You can also take a test of Russian as a foreign language (TORFL) at UdSU.


  • Academic calendar and grading system
  • Russian language programmes
  • Test of Russian as a foreign language